We are getting ready to leave Chile and Uruguay is our next stop! This article on the matadornetwork was very helpful in knowing what to expect in Montevideo and what not to expect… but, we’ll only know what Montevideo is really like once we get there.
I’ve complied a list of things to see and do while we’re in Uruguay; I hope we get to see it all:
Things to see and do in Montevideo (the Capital)
– Visit the Mercado Puerto for a steak.
– Watch the changing of the guard at Plaza Independencia
– Do a tour of Teatro Solis
– Walk down the La Rambla boardwalk
– Buy fresh fruits and veggies at the Mercado Argicola Montevideo
– Visit two cathedrals: Montevideo Metropolitan Cathedral & Catedral Matriz
– Visit the El Prado barrio to look at the luxurious houses and Iglesia de las Carmelitas.
– Watch a football match (Utuguay was the first country ever to win the football world cup in 1930.)
– Visit Palacio Taranco in the ‘old city’
– Hug a very old Ombu tree, known as the world’s toughest tree – it can survive fires and axes!
– Look out over the city from the mirador on the 22nd floor of the City hall building
– Do a tour of Castillo Pittamiglio
Things to see and do in Punta del Este (Playground of the rich and famous during Summer time)
– Take a picture of the famous Los Dedos sculpture on Playa Brava
– Visit the Ralli art museum, because it’s art and it’s free!
– Visit the beautiful Iglesia Candelaria
– Visit the Fundacion Pablo Atchugarry for more free art. The sculpture garden looks fantastic!
– Visit the museum at Casapueblo